Friday, February 27, 2009

Epitaph for a Writer

This week, among other things, I've decided what I want written on my epitaph.

"Perfect submission, all is at rest."

Blessed assurance has been one of my favorite hymns since I was a little girl, singing it loudly and proudly (not to mention off-key and uncaring). In a bunch of drafts and scribble scratch it has taken on particular new and special meaning to me. This line is often my reminder to keep digging in the trenches and putting my behind in the chair. For a writer, the search for perfection is continuous. We're always striving to capture feelings, brilliance, elegance, and delight through stringing together the perfect choice of words. Yet, what really is this illusive perfection? I think it's different for every one of us, but we always recognize it when it's a small moment meant only for us. How great art thou editor of editors!

No comments:

Google
Support This Site
Join Associated Content
Powered By Blogger

The bouquet residence

The bouquet residence
delivery from the other side of the fence
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape