Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Writing Goals for 2009

The start of a new year always brings with it this irritating feeling of inadequacy. Last year's to-do list is still lingering around with its leftovers that I try to keep longer than cold spaghetti covered in saran wrap in the way back of the refrigerator. There's just something about cold spaghetti that seems, simply unappetizing.

Who really wants to eat it? Or go through the trouble of heating it up in the microwave? All the hassle for some limp noodles?

Ever get that feeling about what you're writing?

I know I do. Especially since I have it programmed in my brain that pasta is nothing but cheap carbohydrates and it's so much quicker and easier to go get another box and heat up a fresh pot!

Writing is often the same way as it's so much easier to toss aside an unpolished clump of junk and go pick up someone else's shiny new book which either reminds me of Garden Rotini in assorted flavors or homemade Fettucini Alfredo.

So, one of my writing goals for 2009 is to stop being such a cold, limp noodle. To really find out what's hiding in the way back of my refrigerator. To not be scared to throw out some green looking, funky smelling leftovers, and discover some compost material or just plain trash.

As a writer, if you've got something hiding in your refrigerator than I'd like to challenge you to pick up that leftover spaghetti - that half finished novel you set aside 'round about June last summer, that idea that's been simmering on the stove, that tiny piece of macaroni that's been camping out between the eggs and the butter, or that notion you shoved into the crisper that's slowly turning brown around the edges like a forgotten head of lettuce.

Let's start using those noodles!

I promise to do the same...soon as I really do clean out my refrigerator because right now I'm sure I've got a few noodles that have dehydrated into nothingness and become jelly super glued onto the bottom of something.

No comments:

Google
Support This Site
Join Associated Content
Powered By Blogger

The bouquet residence

The bouquet residence
delivery from the other side of the fence
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape